This lesson I worked on 'I'll Cover You' with Lewis and our choreographer, Dan. We had previously worked on this song and choreography in our own time however when we showed the dance to Dan, he said that it doesn't catch the growing love between Collins and Angel, which is the key pivoting point in their relationship. I agree with this as I think the dance wasn't as creative as it could be. Dan is a dancer so he obviously has more experience than me and Lewis in this area. When we performed our own dance to Dan me and Lewis forgot some of the dance which I think made it look sloppy. I think that this dance routine in 'I'll cover you' has helped me with my physicality, as Angel is a feminine and I am not, so this role has challenged me, hence the development in this skill. Dan added a lift during a dance break into the song, just after the first chorus, however when I jump into Collins arms i find myself pointing my feet outwards. Dan stated that this makes me look masculine so I need to keep working on pointing my toes towards the floor in order to come across as feminine, the more I practice this the more it will come naturally to me.
Vocally, I think that I am now really comfortable with this song so I find no trouble when singing it. I feel as though now because I am more relaxed in this song it reduces tension in the muscles in my throat, this decreases the strain that I am putting on my vocal chords which allows me to sing easier and use my projection more. However, Dan has pointed out that Lewis and I need to work on the harmonies as they are still not right. I think this is because Lewis' singing is in a low octave and I sing in a high octave.
I also worked on singing and choreography of 'Today 4 U'. To start off, I went through just the singing of the number. I was given criticism which was that I need to put more charisma and energy into the song. Personally, I think that my characterisation is lacking here and it needs to be improved. Dan indicated that this number is the first song where they see Angel as the loving person he is even though he is talking about killing a dog for money. When Collins introduces me I enter from the back, I need to strut as if I'm walking down a runway. I found this very difficult as it wasn't coming naturally to me so I felt that the strut was forced and it didn't look right. To help me practice this I am going watch some videos of catwalks and fashion shows to get inspiration and ideas from. Apart from this my only other criticisms as for dancing is that I need more energy in my dance and Also that when I was dancing in my heels I need to make sure I am taking smaller steps and not larger ones as it looks more feminine. These criticisms fall under Physicality, so this skill is something I must carry developing as it is an important skill for the role I am playing who, at parts, is portrayed as the opposite sex to me.
For the improvement of 'I'll cover you' Me and Lewis need to go and see our singing teacher to help us correct the harmonies. I also need to respond to my criticisms of 'Today 4 U', I will go and practice these in my spare time.
No comments:
Post a Comment