Sunday, 19 February 2017

9/01/17-Single

This lesson was spent trying to go through a full run through of the play. However, lots of people kept on forgetting their lines which made them really stressed out. Specifically Taylor, where she has so many lines to remember she was getting muddled up and lost with her lines. It was then decided by our teacher that we was going to a full speed run through of each scene. This meant that we would speed up our pace so we can get through the play quicker. As it was a speed run we was allowed our scripts with us. As we was completing the speed run, we found that this gave everything more humour and energy. I found that it made it more enjoyable to perform as everyone was putting effort into it and it didn't feel tedious like most times we are performing the play. The speed run allowed us to keep up the energy in the play, I think this made it engaging and enjoyable to watch for the people who weren't in particular scenes. I think we need to adapt this energy from the pace of the speed run to the pace we perform at normally. This will improve the quality of the play by miles.

Scene 3-Speed run
When portraying The Quartermaster during the speed run I feel as though i was more in character than I have ever been. The pace of the speed run allowed me to be over top in my characterisation which made him more funny to the audience (cast members who weren't in particular scenes). This made it enjoyable to play The Quartermaster as I knew people enjoyed watching the character.

I think where I was being over top in my characterisation my voice went over the top as well. I found that I used more tone of voice during the scene as the pace allowed me to show more emotion to The Quartermaster, even though we went through this part of the scene very quick. My projection was okay however where i was looking at my script i wasn't looking in the Audience's directions so i couldn't be heard at points, but this was only for the speed run.

Scene 4-Speed run 
I think the speed run really benefited me in the portrayal of The Clerk. Where the pace was sped up, the sass that i have been trying to use with the character was noticeable to the audience. This engaged them as they found my character funny. As the audience was laughing it made performing more enjoyable which in turn, I put more effort into my characterisation of The Clerk.

I am really comfortable with the lines The Clerk has so i didn't need to look at the script, this improved my projection as i was projecting my voice outwards to the audience. Also, I was able to create more of an aggressive tone to my voice, I don't know whether this was because the pace was sped up or if it was the spur of the moment. I think where my projection had increased i was able to use it more effectively.

Scene 11-Speed run
As the scene was sped up it gave the scene much more chaos as it became a lot busier than it was before. Interruptions between certain character's lines were executed more precisely. This meant that the scene ran more smoothly and overall was of better quality.

For The Farmer's son, I think that the speed worked really well. The speed at which i was speaking at really enhanced the panicky vibe that I was going for. I think I could try and maybe adapt this pace in my voice to the real performance, in fact I think the whole scene should be done at this pace as it would influence the anxious atmosphere the scene has. However, this is down to whether other cast members would be okay with this.


Brecht Techniques 
When completing this speed run I found that Brecht techniques were much easier to use. Comedy, almost came somewhat naturally to me, I dont know how to explain it but it just felt easier to place the comedy in my lines. I think that I should practice this speed run at home. However, where i place the comedy in the speed run, I need to adapt it to the pace we are originally going for. This is something I am going to work on in my own time and hope to do for next lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment