Today in this lesson we performed our monologues we were set over the summer and also was set the task of analyzing another actors performance. My monologue was from a play called 'Like a Virgin'. The monologue highlights the difficulties terminal ill patients go through on a day to day basis. I thought I would challenge myself as I chose an opposite sex monologue. However I did change pronouns to his/him/he etc. to make it easier for the audience to understand.
My positive criticism included things like good use of tone, naturalistic with relevantly placed pauses and breaking on each breathe to create an emotive atmosphere. However my negative feedback was lack of eye contact, I agree with this as well. I don't think I made enough eye contact to engage audience into my monologue, this made the audience lose focus on me. Also another point was to try and use black comedy on one of my lines which was "he looks really good" and "He's the best suntanned corpse I've ever seen". I think my characterisation was strong in this monologue as I was able to put myself in their shoes. I had previously talked to my nan who had cancer, so this gave me inspiration into how to portray my character, vocally and physically. I would like to think I am really good at portraying emotional characters or characters who are angry caused by emotions, so this character suited me.
After our we received our criticism we improved on what was negative to make it positive. So for me, I worked on my eye contact and my black comedy. I thought it made my monologue much better once I had improved these targets.
I do think that I played it safe with this monologue as it was in my comfort zone and I felt comfortable. In the future I would like to be put out of my comfort and challenge myself with different style of monologues or something other than naturalistic acting.
I do think that I played it safe with this monologue as it was in my comfort zone and I felt comfortable. In the future I would like to be put out of my comfort and challenge myself with different style of monologues or something other than naturalistic acting.
No comments:
Post a Comment