Thursday, 29 September 2016

22/09/16-Double

This lesson we rehearsed for our auditions on Monday that was for our unit (Musical Theatre). I was going for the part of Angel. I think I would best suit this character as my vocal range is similar to Angel's vocal range, which is C3-A4, in falsetto and tenor. I think training my voice using vocal warm ups and training will help me fit into this vocal range. When I was rehearsing I felt lyrically in my comfort zone with his character so I think  this made learning the song easier as I was enjoying  myself, However physically and mentally I don't think I am ready to get  into this character as it asks for a lot. Physically, Angel is very feminine in his walk which is something that I need to practice In my own time, I am going to watch YouTube videos to try and aid me.   Mentally, I have to put myself into Angel's shoes which is really difficult as it is a sensitive subject. If I portray Angel in the wrong way I could offend someone which I really don't want to do. Angel is referred to as a drag queen in the script, This means that I could take inspiration from 'Ru Pauls Drag Race', this TV Show is a contest for drag queens to win a drag race. I am going to watch this TV show to take ideas as it will help to improve the development of my characterisation of Angel.   The song I am auditioning with is called 'Today 4 U', this is Angel's solo in the musical. I really like this song as its upbeat and fun to sing- It makes people laugh which is what I want in a character. Here is the solo:



After we rehearsed for 20 minutes, we had to perform them to class. For some reason, I was not nervous to perform in front of all of my classmates. This was probably because I was comfortable around all my classmates and it didn't faze me. After I performed I was told I need to go and learn 'Ill cover you' with a person in my class, Will. We was given 20 minutes to learn the song and perform it to the class. the rehearsal process was tricky as I hadn't quite nailed belting the lyric 'Be my life' however I practiced and finally was able to belt it, obviously it wasn't as good as I'd liked it to be. When it came to performing the song I thought It went really well as I was able to hold the note on the lyric 'Be my life'. I think I still need to work on my projection in this song as I feel I'm lacking this skill here, looking at diaphragmatic  support videos will help me achieve this. Here is the song if you've never heard it before:

In this lesson I learnt that I had an ability to belt however I need to improve this by looking at diaphragmatic support which I did not know about and I am going to start practicing this song at home aswell

No comments:

Post a Comment