Sunday, 1 January 2017

23/11/16-Double

In this lesson we ran through all the songs that we have been rehearsing in lesson so far. These are, in chronological order.

"Rent"- 1st Number
Henri's and Cameron's vocals really shone through in the first number, although the vocals were good the choreographed dancing that is placed mid way through the number looks really tacky. Also judging bu the faces they make when they are dancing they don't look like they are enjoying it. This ruins the mood of the song as its fun and energetic so one thing i would say is that they need to smile. This goes for warren and Tyler when they dance as well. Lorna's solo part is perfect. We just need to block this song appropriately to make sure it doesn't look bad.

"One song glory"- 2nd number
This song is Henri's solo. Henri's vocals are on point in this number he hits all the right notes, however he does struggle with one of the very high notes in the song. You can hear and see him straining his voice when he's trying to reach the note. I would suggest that Henri keep practicing the high note to try and open his throat more.

"Light my candle"- 3rd number
This number is the main number for Taylor and second for Henri. The chemistry between the two is excellent. Taylor portrays Mimi really well, her seductive looks towards Henri make highlights the chemistry, whilst Henri's awkwardness brings comedy to the song. This song has been blocked to my knowledge so far.

"Today 4 u"- 4th number
This is my main number other than 'I'll cover you'. I still find my self not feeling as though I am singing to my full potential of projection. My teacher suggested that I work on my projection, he also noted that he thinks I'm holding back my potential and I'm sacred to hit the high notes.I agree with his note taking as i do find myself at times feeling very self-conscious, this is something i need to stop feeling. As an actor you shouldn't care what other people think and just go for it. Next time i perform this song I am going to give it all I've got.

"You'll see"- 5th Number.
This is Will's solo song out of the musical. So far I think Will's vocals have improved immensely, his projection is much louder, his articulation, as well, has improved a lot. Overall Will has made outstanding improvement to his vocals as well as his characteristaion as Benny. I also feature in this song with a couple of lines. There is one line i find very challenging as it is like a tongue twister, 'Life support is a group for people coping with life', I dont know why but this line is just hard for me to say it. Therefore I am going to practice this in my own time.

"Tango: Maureen"- 6th number 
This number contains Cameron and Lorna, so far the vocals are perfect however I do think the dance needs to be worked on. You can see that Cameron does look lost when he is dancing, whether that be because he is struggling to remember the choreography , Hopefully we can block the song soon.

"Life Support"-7th number
This song is blocked and vocals are on point, I don't have criticism to be said about this number apart form Cameron's timing upon his entry. He does need to work on this as he does speed up his singing and ends up not in sync with the music.

"Another Day"-8th number
This number is Taylor's and Henri's second number together. Like 'Light my candle', this song is perfect. The vocals are on point, if Taylor could be a bit louder that would be excellent. apart form that vocals are good. Staging is perfect, it is simple but speaks loudly as to where they are and what they're doing. Henri's raspy voice captures his anger towards Mimi, where as Mimi's soft voice brings innocence to Taylor's characterisation.

"Will I?"- 9th number 
This is one of my favourite numbers out of the musical. It really highlights the impact of HIV, people wondering if they are going to live and wake up tomorrow. It's really emotional and i think we capture that through our vocals. This number has also been blocked and looks great.

"Santa Fe"- 10th number
I also love this number, it's great fun to be in. This song highlights the growing love between Angel and Collins and i think Lewis and I highlight this through our interactions. However one thing that i keep getting wrong is the timing at the start, I can never get the timing right at the start which I need to practice. I have been practicing this but somehow it's not enough, so i will carry on listening to the backing track. This song has also been blocked.

"I'll cover you"-11th number

This is the last number we rehearsed in todays lesson. This number is Lewis' and I's duet. This song is the pivoting point in Collins' and Angel's relationship. I think at the moment we need to look at maybe re-choreographing the number. I think there is so much going on, as in dance, in the number, it takes away the real meaning of the song. Maybe if we were to cut out the part where i jump into Lewis' arms that might make it little bit less dramatic and more sentimental. As for vocals my only notes was that i need to , again, work on my projection as i wouldn't be heard in the hall over the speakers. I did find this video in my own time on YouTube that i have been using recently to try and improve my projection. Here it is below:


  


No comments:

Post a Comment