This lesson we started to look at Act 2 of the musical. This lesson we focused on the first number of Act 2, that is Happy new year B. This song is a really upbeat song and needs lots of energy otherwise it will just look sloppy. This song is, in some ways, similar to La Vie Boheme. To start of we just listened to the song so we would get an understanding of how the song goes. In the song I have to hit a really high note at the end of the song. It shocked me at first because I didn't think that was Angel who sung it when in fact it was.
Staging
To start of we decided we would try and stage the song so we could block the song as we're running out time until we needed to perform the show. It was decided that Lorna, Alice and Cameron would stand on a block to create levels. As they start of the song it made sense that they were on stage before everybody else entered. On the lyric "5,4,3...Open sesame" everyone would enter. Also we needed to make it look like we hadn't seen each other in the a year so we decided we would all greet each other to highlight this. When Benny enters, the rest of the characters are all on one side of the stage. This staging highlights that there is almost a kind of stand off between Benny and the rest of the company. However when my line comes in which is "People is this anyway to start a new year" I am mid stage as it conveys the idea that Angel is the one who is calming the tension between everyone. On the last note that I hit the high note i have to gently push Taylor (Mimi) towards Henri (Rodger) as I try to make them like each other again. There are no props on stage at this point as
Singing
Alice- Alice has had training so is obviously well experienced in Musical Theatre. She sounded excellent as always.
Will- Will's projection has improved so much and he has come so far with his confidence. In this number it really shines through.
Me- I would say that I just need more confidence when hitting the high note. Also I found that when i was singing "People" in an american accent I would make it sound like "Pe-pole", however after little practice I soon was able to say it properly. Overall this song is pretty easy to sing apart from the last note. I am going to practice this part in my spare time.
Henri- In this number, Henri's aggressive portrayal of Rodger is really clear. His emotion is clearly highlighted on his lyric "I'm not her boyfriend, i don't care what she does".
Taylor- I think Taylor is a little like me, we both need to work on our projection to make sure we will be heard by the audience. Apart from that Taylor is excellent.
Tyler- I think Tyler needs to work on his projection as well. He plays the drug dealer at the end of this song, and when he performs his dialogue he can barely be heard over the little speaker. When we are in the hall there will be even larger speakers so he will need to project even more so the mics will pick up his voice.
Next time we perform this we need to make sure that we put lots of energy into the performance. As this is the first time we have touched on this song it is obviously not going to be our best.
No comments:
Post a Comment