Tuesday, 22 November 2016

10/11/16-Single

In this scene we started to stage scene 11 of Mother Courage. I play the farmer's son, in this scene he is described through his speech as being panicky and scared. This is where I need to start using sub text to understand how my character is feeling and what they're thinking. I think that The Farmer's son is a complex character to understand as portrays mixed emotions through his speech. For example one of his lines is "There's no path for Catholics" which can come off quite violent, however a few lines after he is saying "What do i do?" to his parents, this conveys that he is scared and doesn't know what to do. This contrast shows how the farmers son changes his attitude when it comes to the idea of his death. To show this change, I need to use my tone of voice, pace, to try and convey how the Farmer's son develops as a character. I think that I  really need to highlight this development as this is the only scene we first see the farmer's son and the last as he dies. I also found this scene hard as it is very sensitive, I still have to be comedic which I find very difficult to do as i'm so used to being emotionally invested in a character. I cannot do this in this play as we are using Brechtian techniques and this is one of them; breaking the fourth wall, making sure the audience remembers that the characters are not real. I think I need to rehearse my lines so I can understand where to apply the comedic value however using sensitivity as well.
Image result for mother courage and her children

No comments:

Post a Comment